What are Active Ingredients in Skincare and How to Use Them?
If you want to up your skincare game, incorporating active ingredients within your daily skincare regime is the best way. To address the question of what are active ingredients in skincare, they are the ingredients that have been proven to biologically effect skin based on scientific data.
One should be aware of the number of actives that are present in their skincare products. Using one active ingredient per day is adequate for most skin types. You can combine milder actives, such as Vitamin C with others to use in the morning and night. These ingredients are effective boosters for your skincare products. The benefit of these ingredients on your skin can be immense if used moderately. Some of the best active ingredients are listed below.
- Retinol - is primarily used for the treatment of skin conditions, such as, acne, fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, freckles, other sun damage issues, uneven skin texture, hyper-pigmentation, visible pores, oily skin and collagen loss. These Vitamin A derivatives are extremely effective in treating afore mentioned skin conditions. There are concerns over side effects so caution is recommended while using this ingredient. The side effects are largely temporary and the skin will heal once it gets used to the product but if you continue to experience irritation, you might consider a lower strength or foregoing retinol in favour of other active ingredients. Redness, itchiness, and peeling skin are the common side effects of using retinol as it makes the skin dry and extra sensitive. Not using other active ingredients with retinol is advisable but you could use a milder ingredient if you get used to the primary one. Applying retinol at night is advisable as it is sensitive to the sun.
- AHA and BHA - are common acids that are used for preventing breakouts. These are usually used as skin toners to even and brighten the complexion. These work efficiently to eliminate dead skin cells and maintain oil production of the skin. They also help the cleansing procedure by deep cleansing the pores
Alpha Hydroxy Acids are soluble in water and help exfoliate dead skin. This product does not penetrate the deeper layers of the skin. This boosts the skin renewal cycle and fights premature aging. Your skin will look more youthful and brighter with continued use. The presence of fine lines and wrinkles are also considerably reduced through regular usage. Most importantly, it enhances collagen production and protects them from external weather conditions.
Beta Hydroxy Acids are soluble in oil. These penetrate deeper into the skin as compared to that AHA. It helps produce keratin. This keratin can block the pores of the skin. Use of BHA in a regulated manner may be helpful for a new user.
- Vitamin C- The water-soluble forms increase firmness of skin and build collagen. It helps to reduce dark spots and hyper-pigmentation. It can reduce the effects of sun damage. It makes your skin brighter, fresher and even toned. You can add it to your daily sunscreen for added protection against harmful UV rays. Find the best Vitamin C serum for your skin that provides these advantages.
- Niacinamide- This agent with multiple benefits is water-soluble. Niacinamide skin benefits are numerous in number. It can maintain the moisture balance. It can protect the skin from environmental damage and aging. It helps reduce discolouration, prevents break-outs and offers anti-bacterial solutions that keep the skin healthy and glowing.
- Benzoyl Peroxide- As a powerful acne treatment, it maintains the nutrition production of the skin. It controls the toxin build up and helps reduce blemishes. This can be used against whiteheads as well. It would not respond to other acne ingredient so not mixing this with other agents is advised. It can cause flaky skin due to overuse. If you feel inflammation at any point of time, not using the ingredient is recommended.
- Lactic Acid- This organic AHA acid balances the skin's pH levels and reduces risk of bacterial infections. It helps to deep cleanse the pores and prevents bumps and cysts. It does not have any side effects.
- Salicylic Acid - This BHA breaks down the keratin formations on the skin and prevents blemishes. It is primarily used as an exfoliant. It helps acquire a smooth skin by smoothing acne scars. They also help keep the pores clean, remove blackheads and closed comedones from bumps under the skin.
Other than these active ingredients, algae, astaxanthin, beta glucan, ubiquinone, ergothioneine, ethyl lactate, glycerin, glycolic acid, green tea, hyaluronic acid, peptides, sea whip extract, sodium hyaluronate, and zinc oxide are important ingredients used in skincare products to treat various issues.
Auli is dedicated towards providing natural solutions for skin concerns that are effective and affordable. Team Auli is passionate about revolutionising skincare and simplifying the jargons. Auli products are potent skincare solutions that work efficienctly to help people achieve healthy and naturally glowing skin while treating specific skin concerns. Enriched with Active Ingredients, the focus of Auli has always been on bringing stable products and skincare awareness to its tribe. Auli is simply a complete lifestyle upgrade experience that brings together the best of both worlds, Modern Science and Ayurveda.